Monday, June 1, 2015

Last days... Firenze

Day #9

Today we leave beautiful Rapallo and head to historical Florence. This also meant that it was time to say goodbye to my dear Giovanni (our superb driver). We took a picture together, then a hug, then a kiss (on the cheek) and a wink goodbye. Swoon! I shall forever miss that man :(


We arrived in Firenze and explored a bit before our city tour. 



I joined Bree, Jen, Brenda, and Shelley for a bite to eat. As is tradition, I ate an entire pizza, salcitta this time (sausage) and a gelato. I love Italy. As a group, we met at Piazza della Signoria. Surrounded by marble statues, including a replica of David, we awaited our guide. William, our Florence tour guide had a very quick step, some even had trouble keeping up! I found it funny. He would sigh exasperatingly right into his microphone when people would fall behind or lolly gag. We stopped at the Piazza del Duomo to view the magnificent and iconic Duomo. We next visited the Basilica di Santa Croce. This Roman Catholic church is the burial place of some majorly important Italians: Galileo, Machiavelli, and Michelangelo (artist not turtle). There's even a monument to writer Dante Alighieri. It was definitely a cool place. After leaving the church, we quickly walked down the street where Dante lived. Such history! 


Soon enough, it was time to bid farewell to William, but not before a stop at a Florentine leather shop. Yawn. I went across the street to a creepy Pinocchio shop instead. 


It was time to check out our digs for the next 2 nights so we headed to the hotel, NH Anglo American. 


Maryland had THE BEST ROOM EVER (huge balcony/terrace type thing) so we partied there then headed out for a late bite to eat. I had no excursions planned for the next day so I was excited to sleep in and take it easy. 

Day #10

I guess my body and mind didn't agree on how I was supposed to spend my free day. I awoke at 06:15 then finally got out of bed at 07:30. So much for sleeping late :( I went down to breakfast and tried nearly everything they had to offer, minus the jello jigglers (that's just weird). Since I was awake and fed, I decided to venture out alone into the world of Florence. It was raining, I had no umbrella, and I got lost. Florence: 1 Pam: 0 This is not starting out well. I felt like Charlie Brown as I walked downtrodden down the streets. I stopped in a shop to get out of the rain and was pleasantly surprised by the stores contents. Everything was made from glass. Beautiful jewelry pieces and other odds and ends were displayed throughout the store. I bought some souvenirs, then continued my journey. Eventually, I found the city center. I made my way to the Duomo but the line was huge and it was still raining. I opted for a bar where I enjoyed a chocolate croissant and a cappuccino while I waited out the rain. Soon enough it was warm and sunny. I walked back towards the Duomo, determined to climb to the top of Giottos Bell Tower. The guide yesterday said that it was the 4th largest, smaller than the one in Sevilla I had climbed last year. I felt pretty confident that I could conquer that tower. After about a half an hour wait, it was game on. Holy cow was it a tough climb though. Narrow and spiral, the staircase was a two-way, although in all actuality there really wasn't enough room for two at a time, nor was it safe. As I climbed higher & higher, I couldn't help but think to myself "how the crap am I going to get down from here?" The view from the top of the tower was pretty cool, although I was more excited because I had made it to the top. 
Now it was time to get down. I had timed it perfectly (without trying). There were very few people making the trek up as I was carefully but swiftly heading down. Shaky and sweaty, I successfully made it to the bottom. Yo! Girl deserves some pizza and beer after that! I saw a pizzeria right near the Duomo and smiled. I can always count on pizza! It's a this moment, my dear readers, that I must break some bad news to you. This pizza was not good. In fact, it was terrible. I've had some bad pizza before (pretty much anywhere that's not Jersey) but this was BAD. I almost didn't eat it all but then I remembered I was fat, so I chowed down. The worst part was that I was so full afterwards that I couldn't even make room for a final gelato *shakes fist* Why I aughta! 


Filled with bad pizza and still soaked from the rain and sweat, I headed back to the hotel. After a long hot shower, I played dress up until my friends came back from their excursion. We drank some wine in the courtyard and snapped some final pics before it was time to get ready for the farewell dinner. 


Well, I was a blubbery mess during the meal. I couldn't watch people say goodbye, even if it had nothing to do with me! Soon enough it was time to say my goodbyes. Since I had an early flight, I had to wake up at 03:30, it was to be an early night. It only seemed fitting for me to get lost one final time. The Jersey Girls took a few wrong turns and ended up, yet again in another shady area. This is how we do. Luckily Jen came to the rescue and GPS'd us out of there.

Day #11

The last day was just boring plane/airport stuff, so I'll just end it here. I will say though that the gentlemen that sat next to my original flight 11 days prior (Mic) sat in front of me on the way back. That was nice. 

This trip was certainly unforgettable. Plagued with dark times and beautiful memories, this trip will stay with me forever. I met some truly wonderful people with whom I desperately hope to remain friends with. In my darkest times they were there for me and welcomed me with open arms. I will be forever thankful to them. 


So until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment