Sunday, May 3, 2015

Bonjour. Bienvenue en France!

I awoke completely disoriented, unable to find neither the light nor the phone to answer the wake up call. Way to go Pam. After a quick breakfast it was time to say "adios" to Spain and "bonjour" to France. I snoozed a bit on the bus while listening to the sounds of Paco Lucia on the guitar. 40 winks later and I was ready for some sights. We drove past Figueres, the birthplace of Salvador Dali, the eccentric and genius artist. We viewed the massive Pyrenees mountain chain, separating Spain from France. One of the highlights, for me, was when we stopped for a "shakesperian moment" (to pee or not to pee) at a rest stop. I brought... Wait for it... M&Ms!!! Dye free and delicious! Well not dye free completely but at least free from the harmful ones. I bought many bags and skittles too! And topped it off with some ham flavored potato chips. Fat Pam is happy! Then we were back on the road. Oh hey France! What's up? I'm in you now!
Our first stop in France was to Carcassone. A fortified city, Carcassone has been restored to its original form. Cobblestone streets, lined with shops and restaurants, allow visitors to explore this fine city. Venders offering samples of chocolates with raspberry and meringue, line the quaint streets. I enjoyed a crepe and some wine while sitting outside, basking in the beautiful French sunshine. I got to cross something off my France list too! I had my first macaroon! I popped that cherry with a strawberry one. Yum! 
Next we arrived in Montpellier. I loved my room. So cool. And I got a robe with slippers! I wandered around before dinner and came upon a park. The sound of children's laughter filled the air. There were beautiful fountains and venders selling hot chocolates, as families and friends enjoyed picnics in the sunshine. Dinner was marvelous. The wine was flowing and we felt great. 

The New Jersey crew: Bree, Jen, and myself decided to go out on an adventure. We wandered around, looking for a dive bar. We stumbled up a Cuban bar offering salsa lessons. This looked promising. It wasn't. After hanging out there for a bit we wandered around some more. Turn after turn, we ended up deeper into sketchy Montpellier. Ok, now we were lost. We started to look for the tram to take us back to the hotel but couldn't find it. We did, however, find a train station and a man peeing outside. So there's that. After awhile, we found a tram station. Not ours, but at least we were on the right track (pun totally intended). A helpful French woman pointed us in the right direction and we were hopeful. Next tram station we found  was the correct line. Whoo hoo! Now we just needed to figure out how to purchase a ticket. I tried to use my credit card but the machine frowned at me. Seriously. A face pops up on the screen and frowns at you if you mess up. So funny. We realize it only takes change , so we head over to McDonald's to get it. I almost got a beer and a ham & cheese sandwich just because it was there and it was weird. Ok. Time to try the machine again. Yes! Smile face! The machine was pleased with us. We hop on the tram feeling victorious, until we realize we are going the wrong direction "Quel dommage!" We hop off at the next stop and purchase more tickets. Ok. Let's try this again. Within minutes we were at the correct stop and we realized how easy it was to get there. Boy did we feel dumb. Way to go New Jersey, lol. All in all, what a great day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment